Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Donation update

Hello friends-
  I will be travelling to Madina market today with Auntie Beatrice to spend the nearly $900 (approximately 1750 Ghana cedi) on food for the children. We are still most certainly accepting donations for food, though I do leave on Sunday any money that I cannot spend myself here will be wired to Mama Jane once I arrive home.
  The children and I had the pleasure of a Skype encounter with my parents and their church, Faith Lutheran Mission Church in Eau Claire, who have been extremely supportive of us since my first venture here. As requested by the members, I inquired about the land that they are looking to purchase and the fees are as follows-
-To buy 2 acres (8 plots) of land will cost $12,000. Mama Jane and I will be going today or tomorrow, depending on how long I take at the market, to chat with the land owners about any other fees (for the person to draw up the papers, etc) that would be required to ensure this transaction be completed. As The Potters Village is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit in Ghana, after the land is purchased organizations could carry on to donate building materials and we could also start some projects on the land while the plans for the home are being drafted that would help them to earn their own money and keep them going.
 
Donation spending thus far-
Beatrice and I went to Madina market the first week I arrived to at least ensure there was some small food in the store room. This trip fed all the kids for just under a week.
Ocro-$8
Onion-$6
Ginger-$3
Maggi(bullion)-$3
Palmfruit for 1 meal-$16
Half a bag of beans-$135
Corn, 1 bag-$80
Gari, 1 bag-$250
Wele (cow skin to flavor soups)-$10

I'll report back at the close of today with what we purchased at the market.

Aside from food, donations have been spent on the following

Pay for the mothers-$125 (this covers backpay from last month and pay for this month to 2 mothers as well as the cook for the volunteers and the orphanage, Auntie B.)
Various school supplies-between $40-$60
Printing registration forms for new HS students-$25
Transport to schools to register/collect fee information-$50 (this is for 7 kids collectively)
Abigail's cloth for her HS uniform-$25
Bible for Sister Lizzy-$7


I'll be back with more information once I've collected it for myself. Love and light-
Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment